Tuesday, September 7, 2021

10 Good Songs From 10 Bad Rap Albums

Over the years, rap has produced a couple of one hit wonder artists who decide to make albums out of that success. Today we will be focusing on rap albums that I consider bad but have a repeatable song. Some of these albums may not be completely bad but I just connected to one particular song more than others.

 

10. Future – F&N

Nayvadius Wilburn also known as Future is widely regarded as one of the greatest in the trap subgenre of rap. Ever since Future dropped “Mask Off” I have been a big follower of his music and a year cannot go by without Future releasing a project but that doesn’t mean that his music is particularly good. Take the “Future Hndrxx Presents: The WIZRD” album that was dropped in 2019. What was the point of this? Mindless rambling about the usual things trap entails but with less vigor? After listening to the album 4 times, only one song stuck… F&N! The combination of ATL Jacob and 808 Mafia gave an outstanding beat leaving Future to give it a befitting verse and vibe; Future did this without hesitation. The song is just so addictive and filled with energy. The only good song from the “Future Hndrxx Presents: The WIZRD” album in my opinion.


9. Nav – Brown Boy

There is no rapper as boring as Nav. Gosh; this guy is so monotone that every song in an album sounds the same with just different beats and lyrics. Nav will drop a full length album and only one song will stick; like the “Good Intentions” album he dropped in 2020. The album was just long and boring; I was just waiting for the album to end but after a second listen I found one song that was worth replaying… Brown Boy. A song about what haters say about Nav, impressive. The song is great because the beat effortlessly matches his monotone flow.

 

8. AJ Tracey – Shisha

As a big fan of grime and AJ Tracey in particular, this was a bit hard for me. I’m not a big fan of the “Secure The Bag!” EP; it sounded bland and hurriedly made. The only song that stuck for me was Shisha due to its unique beat that was used and the eccentric flow AJ brought to the song.


7. TheHxliday – 19

I came across TheHxliday while randomly browsing through rap albums released in 2021 and decided to download his latest EP “The Most Beautiful Disaster” and it nothing short of a disaster. Blatant copying of beats, auto tuning his voice to sound like other artists, it was almost too much to take. The only song that stuck for me was 19, the rest were just too auto tuned to resemble the voices of other artistes or I was amazed as to how beats were stolen and placed into this project like it was nothing.


6. Playboi Carti – Teen X (feat. Future)

Playboi Carti dropped one of the worst albums of 2020 in “Whole Lotta Red”. I was barely three songs into the album before I deemed it the worst album of 2020 but as I continued to go through the sea of songs that sound like studio rejects I found one song that a bit above the horrendous level of the rest… Teen X. Although the song is auto tuned to sound like a 2 month old baby trying to speak coupled with a beat that sounds like a 1990s game it was still manageable. Future, whom I expected to bring something good to the table did nothing but mumble all through his whole verse.


5. Lil Uzi Vert – Baby Are You Home

Lil Uzi Vert’s “Lil Uzi Vert vs. The World” mix tape is the embodiment of emo rap; auto tuned rambling over trap beats. While I wouldn’t call this mix tape bad (because it had some iota of tolerance) I cannot call it good because it in no way compares to Uzi’s other works. The only song that actually stuck from the “Lil Uzi Vert vs. The World” mix tape is Baby Are You Home, where an improving Lil Uzi Vert met an improving Metro Boomin to produce a catchy and addictive but yet strange song.


4. Lil Mosey – Trapstar

Lil Mosey is one of my favorite melodic rappers; he just has this baby face and a baby voice to complement with it. Going through his earlier mix tape, “Northbest”, I was not as impressed as I was with “Certified Hitmaker”. Not that the mix tape was weak but it didn’t have that personality that “Certified Hitmaker” carried. I realized that he had dropped an extended version of “Northbest” with two extra songs so I decided to listen to it and Trapstar was the first song that I got addicted to. Mosey’s baby voice coupled with a piano infused beat made a perfect match. The message behind the song is good too; talking about trapping if he ever goes broke.


3. Nav – Nasty

Just like “Good Intentions”, “Emergency Tsunami” is not a good album. It just has the usual monotone voice with different beats and as usual there is always one repeatable song; in this case “Nasty”. Nasty has this R&B vibe mixed with trap that gives you a pretty enjoyable song. Nasty is actually my best Nav song; good beat, great vibe (pathetic lyrics, but I’ll let that slide), an all-round enjoyable song.


2. Kodak Black – Patty Cake

Kodak Black is a very unusual artist. Everything about him is strange; hairstyle, style of rapping, everything in general. His album “Painting Pictures” is a weak album; to put it mildly. Weak flows, poor lyrics, lack of persona, just mindless rambling but there is one song I like a lot from the album; Patty Cake. Patty Cake has a catchy beat that will you leave you head bopping from start to finish. Kodak tried here by giving a good vibe.


1.     1.   Big K. R. I. T. – Confetti

In 2017, Big K. R. I. T. dropped a double album in “4eva Is a Mighty Long Time”. To cut it short, the album was long bland and boring. The only song that hit me perfectly like I expected was Confetti. Confetti had mass level of lyricism, a world class beat, top tier vibe… The song is just lit in every way unlike the rest of the album.

1 comment:

Top 20 Albums of 2021 (Worldwide)

  Before 2021 runs out, it is only fair we look at the best albums to come out of the year.   20. Pain Paints Paintings - Dax   Nigerian-Can...

Most Trending